A former Belfast school that The Prince’s Regeneration Trust (PRT) helped save from dereliction and transform into a thriving community hub has received a visit from HRH The Prince of Wales.
Built in 1924 in the heart of working-class East Belfast, Templemore Avenue School fell into disrepair after closing in 1976. But, following the intervention of local group the East Belfast Community Development Agency (EBCDA) and regeneration charity PRT, it now has a new life providing a home to a host of much-needed community services.
Under its new name, the East Belfast Network Centre, the Grade B1 listed building welcomed His Royal Highness as part of his historic tour of Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.
The school had once been a bustling facility, educating generations of local families. But it was abandoned after its closure and became a target of vandalism, symbolising the decline of the area.
The building opened as a new centre in February 2014 and has already become a hub of community activity and a vital local resource in a deprived area.