Kinloch Castle, Isle of Rum, West Coast of Scotland
The brief but spectacular history of Kinloch Castle is part of the harsh and sometimes tragic human occupation of the Island of Rum that lies off the west coast of Scotland.
The Castle was built by Lancastrian industrialist, George Bullough, in 1897 for entertainment and to impress. It is an almost untouched and intact example of a purpose-built Scots Baronial shooting lodge of the late Victorian/Edwardian age. Its cultural significance lies primarily in the overall quality and uniqueness of its design and detailing, enhanced by its unaltered lavish and opulent interiors and furnishings. Kinloch is an unsurpassed illustration of recreational Edwardian society in the Highlands – recognised by its listing at Category A.
The Castle and its collection have survived primarily because the Nature Conservancy purchased the site in 1957.
The Island is now designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest and is a national nature reserve, particularly known for its red deer.
We were asked by the owners, SNH, to come up with a viable scheme which would secure the future of Kinloch Castle.
The scheme we developed was capable of being phased in order to spread funding requirements. Unfortunately, SNH were unable to secure the funding to take the project forward and our work ceased. This was some years ago and we have not worked for SNH since.
Three years ago we were funded by a private charity to update that work. So far as we are aware this work has not been taken forward.
Kinloch Castle is a remarkable building in need of significant repair work. We sincerely hope that SNH will be able to carry out the repair and conservation so that it can be preserved for future generations