|Listed status:||Bell Mill, Mid Mill, East Mill (category A),
North Range, East Range, and Hydro Electric power station (category B)
Stanley Mills (© Louis Flood Photographers)
Described as one of the most complete surviving early cotton mill complexes in the UK, Stanley Mills were founded by George Dempster in association with Sir Richard Arkwright and a group of Perth merchants. The site is on the bend of the River Tay, surrounded by woodland. The land was feuded from the Duke of Atholl to give employment to his Highlanders who were being driven from the hills. The complex comprises buildings ranged round three sides of an irregular courtyard and were originally powered by 7 giant water wheels.
Bell Mill, the oldest and most important on the site, was built 1786-7 to the designs of Sir Richard Arkwright. Mid Mill, circa 1823-30
The Bell Mill is to become a Museum of the River Tay, story of textiles in Tayside and power from water, to be developed by Historic Scotland. The Mid Mill is to be converted by the Phoenix Trust into nine two or four bedroomed houses with terraces overlooking the river. The East Mill is to be converted to 30 one-three bedroomed flats. An education centre will be operated during the construction phase.
Up to 125 during construction. 1-3 permanent (PT), 10-20 in total.
The Phoenix Trust.
Law & Dunbar-Nasmith.
B D Trentham.
September 1998 — Spring 2001.
A Listed building where the relationship of the building to its setting adjacent to the River Tay is of great importance.
The Phoenix Trust
Perth PH1 4QE
Tel: 01738 827688
Fax: 01738 827688
E-mail: davidmaclehose @ thephoenixtrust.org.uk